Tuesday, August 7, 2012

How To Turn Off Your iPhone With A Stuck Power Button

A few months ago, my iPhone's power button crapped out on me. Since then, I've ran into half a dozen people with the same problem. I can get the phone repaired for about $90, or I can probably repair it myself for half that. But then I run the risk of seriously mucking something up. So I decided to wait until the new iPhone comes out before I start tinkering with this one.
However, I still needed a way to turn the iPhone off and on in the meantime. So, here's how to do it:

Open up 'Settings', then click on 'General'.


Scroll down, and select 'Accessibility'.


Scroll down, and select 'AssistiveTouch'.


Turn 'AssistiveTouch' on. A new button will appear on the lower, right-hand corner of the screen. Tap it.


A new menu pops up. Select 'Device'.


Now a 'Lock Screen' button appears. It acts just like the power button. Tap it to put the device to sleep. But if you hold the button for a few seconds...


You get the 'Power Off' screen. You know what to do from here.


Turning your iPhone back on requires you to plug it into a charger, both outlet and USB work. A little inconvenient, but still a life-saver.

No comments:

Post a Comment